Software is a computer program that provides instructions and data to execute user’s commands. It is an indispensable part of the machine you cannot see, but it allows you to use the computer.
There is wide range of available software developed for a specific purpose, the number of programs increases exponentially year after year, we can identify and classify different concepts as:
- Location where is installed:
- Network Software - these are programs and applications that are hosted on Internet or in a server and provide customer service through a network connection, its main characteristic is no need to install, configure and maintain it in the terminal itself, programs such as Office 365, Dropbox or Google Docs are examples among others is used.
- Local Software - also known as desktop software are those that need to be installed and stored on the computer where you run, unlike network software, the suite Office by Microsoft, the graphic design program Photoshop or Windows operating system are examples of this type software.
- Degree of freedom of use:
- Free Software - represent the set of programs in which users have full freedom to copy, share and change it, for it generally has access to the source code of the program itself. The Linux operating system, the image editor Gimp or OpenOffice suite are examples of such programs.
- Owner or proprietary software - represent the set of programs that users have limitations for editing, sharing or copying without the express permission of the owner of the software such as Windows operating system, the image editor Photoshop or Microsoft Office suite.
- Functionality type:
- Systems software - also known as operating systems such software manages and administers the hardware of the electronic device and the execution of other programs. Windows, iOS, Linux or Solaris are examples among others.
- Programming software - represent the set of programs that allow us to develop, create and modify other programs, using this type of software we write the set of instruction in a given language which is known as program code, examples like Apple Xcode, Microsoft Visual Studio or Android of Google.
- Application software - are other programs that are used for a specific purpose, it's kind of software is the most comprehensive that we find in the market, in turn can classify software:
- Office - are all programs that facilitate the office tasks such as spreadsheets, text editors, graphic design, invoice management, POS, etc.
- Business - are all those who are focused on their application in the business area, programs like SAP that manages and administers the entire enterprise, Solidworks enabling the design and calculation of structures and complex machines or Scada developed to operate industrial robots.
- Communication - represent the set of programs to establish and facilitate communication and information between people, web browsers, emails managers, social web applications like twitter or Facebook and Facetime, Whatsapp or Skype are examples of this type of software.
- Security - represent the set of antivirus that detect and eliminate programs that can alter the functioning of our electronic device. Norton, Panda or Karspersky are examples among others.
- Malicious - contrary to previous such programs alter and manipulate information and operation of the computer without the consent of the user.
- Entertainment - are all entertainment programs like video games, music and video players, digital book readers, etc.
- Education - Aimed to teach and learn about a specific or general subject, can cite as examples the Encarta digital encyclopedia or Matlab mathematical program among others.