Enterprise Information Technology (EIT)
What is Enterprise Information Technology (EIT)?
Enterprise Information Technology (EIT) aka Enterprise IT is the type of IT application that companies adopt to restructure interactions among groups of employees or with business partners. Applications that define entire business processes, such as CRM and SCM — as well as technologies, such as electronic data interchange, that automate communications between companies — fall into this category. Unlike network technologies, which percolate from the bottom, enterprise technologies are very much top-down; they are purchased and imposed on organizations by senior management. Companies can’t adopt EIT without introducing new interdependencies, processes, and decision rights. Moreover, companies can’t slowly create the complements to EIT; changes become necessary as soon as the new systems go live.EIT is a key contributor in the business value delivery and plays an important role in the future direction of an enterprise.
Enterprise Information Technology (EIT) Capabilities
EIT’s primary capabilities include the following:
- Redesigning business processes: EIT gives managers confidence that employees will execute processes correctly.
- Standardizing work flows. Once companies identify a complementary business process, they can implement it widely and reliably along with the EIT.
- Monitoring activities and events efficiently. EITs can allow managers to get an accurate and up-to-date picture of what’s happening throughout the enterprise, often in something close to real time.
Enterprise Information Technology (EIT) Functions
- Application/System Development and Maintenance
- Data Center Support
- Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity
- IT Service Management
- Network/Telecommunications Engineering
- Security Operations Center
- Service Desk and End User Support
- Technology Modernization
Enterprise Information Technology (EIT) is a broad concept that encompasses not only the IT functions but also the integration of IT with the overall strategy and operations of the organization. EIT enables the organization to effectively use information technology to support and enhance the operations and decision-making of an organization. It also includes the alignment of IT with the organization's goals and objectives and ensuring that IT investments align with the overall business strategy.
- Definition - What is Enterprise Information Technology (EIT)? -Harvard Business Review
- Enterprise Information Technology (EIT) Capabilities hbr.org