An asset is a useful or valuable thing, person, or quality. In business terms, it is a thing of value owned by a company that can be applied toward improving its competitive position or settling debts, or offsetting liabilities.
Investopedia defines assets in investment terms as a resource with economic value that an individual, corporation, or country owns or controls with the expectation that it will provide a future benefit.
- Assets are reported on a company's balance sheet.
- They are bought or created to increase a firm's value or benefit the firm's operations.
- An asset is something that may generate cash flow, reduce expenses or improve sales, regardless of whether it's manufacturing equipment or a patent.
- Assets can be classified as current, fixed, financial, or intangible.
- IT Strategy (Information Technology Strategy)
- IT Governance
- Enterprise Architecture
- IT Sourcing (Information Technology Sourcing)
- IT Investment (Information Technology Investment)
- What is an Asset?-Investopedia