What is Data Dictionary?
A data dictionary is a centralized repository of information about data elements and their definitions, rules, and relationships within a database or data model. It is used to document and manage the structure and meaning of data within an organization.
A data dictionary typically includes the following types of information:
- Data element names: The names of the data elements, such as "customer_name" or "product_price."
- Data element definitions: The definitions of the data elements, including their meanings and uses.
- Data element types: The data types of the data elements, such as text, numbers, or dates.
- Data element relationships: The relationships between data elements, such as which data elements are linked to other data elements.
- Data element rules: The rules governing the data elements, such as the format of the data or the values that are allowed.
A data dictionary is an important tool for managing and documenting data within an organization, as it helps to ensure that the data is consistent, accurate, and easy to understand. It can also help to improve the efficiency of data management and analysis, as it provides a centralized reference for data definitions and relationships.