SHARP (Structured, Holistic Approach for a Research Proposal)
SHARP (a Structured, Holistic Approach for a Research Proposal) is a structured method for developing a research proposal that can be used either by individuals or by teams of researchers, The objectives of the research proposal are to help the researcher to define the contents and to plan and execute a research project, and to inform potential collaborators and supporters about the topic. The proposal that is produced during the process can be submitted to agencies for possible funding.
SHARP should be implemented in eight consecutive steps:
1. Set up a causal model;
2. Establish a fact-hypothesis matrix;
3. Develop a variable-indicator-method matrix;
4. Select the study design;
5. Define the sampling procedure and calculate the sample size;
6. Select the statistical methods;
7. Consider the ethical aspects;
8. Set up an operational plan.