Microsoft SharePoint is a web-based platform that is used to store, organize, share, and access information and documents. It is often used by organizations to create websites for sharing documents and other types of content such as videos, lists, and calendars. SharePoint also provides tools for project management, communication, and collaboration. It can be used on its own, or as part of the Microsoft 365 suite of applications.
SharePoint is designed to be flexible and customizable, so it can be used in a variety of different ways. Some common use cases for SharePoint include:
- Creating and managing websites for teams or departments within an organization
- Storing and organizing documents and other types of content
- Collaborating on documents and projects with team members
- Creating and managing lists and libraries of information
- Setting up and managing workflows to automate business processes
- Integrating with other Microsoft 365 applications and tools
SharePoint is often used by organizations to create intranet portals, which are internal websites that are only accessible to employees of the organization. It can also be used to create public-facing websites, although it is not as commonly used for this purpose.