The Baldrige Award aka Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award (MBNQA) was established by the U.S. Congress in 1987 to raise awareness of quality management and recognize U.S. companies that have implemented successful quality management systems. It is presented annually by the President of the United States to organizations that demonstrate quality and performance excellence. Three awards may be given annually in each of six categories:
- Service company
- Small business
The Baldrige Award is supported by a public-private partnership. The following organizations and entities play a key role:
- The Foundation for the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award raises funds to permanently endow the award program.
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), an agency of the U.S. Department of Commerce, manages the Baldrige Program.
- The American Society for Quality (ASQ) assists in administering the award program under contract to NIST.
- The Board of Overseers advises the Department of Commerce on the Baldrige Program.
- Members of the Board of Examiners—consisting of leading experts from U.S. businesses and education, health care, and nonprofit organizations—volunteer their time to evaluate award applications and prepare feedback reports for applicant organizations. Board members also share information about the program in their professional, trade, community, and state organizations.
- The Panel of Judges, part of the Board of Examiners, makes award recommendations to the director of NIST.
- The network of state, regional, and local Baldrige-based award programs known as the Alliance for Performance Excellence provides potential award applicants and examiners, promotes the use of the Criteria, and disseminates information on the award process and concepts.
- The ISSA, the professional association for cybersecurity, is in formal partnership with the Baldrige Alliance for Performance Excellence. The Alliance and the ISSA offer a free Baldrige-based self-assessment of cyber security operations. It may be found at ManageHub
- Award recipients share information on their successful performance and quality strategies with other U.S. organizations.
EFQM Excellence Model
- How the Baldrige Award Really Works hbr.org
- Baldridge Performance Excellence Program [^https://www.nist.gov/baldrige NIST]
- The Foundation for the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award Baldridge Foundation